Friday 21 August 2015

End of Attachment Week 1 ✅

So I'm here to blog about the first week of attachment because I thought it would be nice to look back at these blog posts after I'm done with the entire 8-week attachment. So here goes:

Week 1 Day 1, 18th August 2015, Tuesday:



Met Elena in the morning before we headed to the our attachment centre: MY World @ Stevens Road.


We met the Principal (our mentor) at the entrance of the centre when she was conducting temperature taking for some of the children. Afterwards, she briefed us on the centre's philosophy etc at her office. We were then introduced to the teaching and non-teaching staff in the centre, and the environment. I was attached to the K1's class taken by Teacher Christabel. Then, I followed the K1s to the playground for their outdoor play. The playground was also part of the centre's premise, so cool! Sat in for their Chinese lesson taught by Wang Yan 老师.

And this was our lunch for Day 1... 很好吃 cause we hungry!



After the children's nap, I continued following the K1s and just interacted with them cause there wasn't really much to do as their afternoons are either for enrichment classes or continuation of their morning's work.

Week 1 Day 2, 19th August 2015, Wednesday:
As usual, I went to the playground with the K1s and sat in for Wang Yan 老师's Chinese lesson. I must say that Wang Yan 老师 is really a good Chinese teacher. The strokes of the Chinese characters are always difficult for children to understand. But Wang Yan 老师 makes the class so interesting by including games in it. She splits the class into the girls team and boys team and have each child come up one by one to recognise the strokes. Also, she always has different methods for collating scores for each team. On day 1, she used heart shapes to represent points and on day 2 she drew 2 ducks (one for each gender) and told the class that if someone answers correctly, she'll add a curly line below the duck to represent water for the duck. So interesting!!

At around 12:30pm, we had our lunch...


This chicken rice + achar + vegetable soup has to be my favourite out of the lunch for the 4 days! It's so nice omg ~

After lunch, Elena had to bring some of her K2s to the swimming pool for their swimming lesson and as one of the teacher said the instructor was handsome and I could follow to see see, so I went along with Elena, haha. This centre has so many facilities around the centre cause it's located in the YMCA building!!



Week 1 Day 3, 20th August 2015, Thursday:
The N1s, K1s and K2s went for their field trip to Bollywood Veggies and so Elena took care of the Student Care girls while I went to help in the PG and N1 class. I followed them outdoors for water play and outdoor activities. After the children were back from their field trip after our lunch time, I went back to join them ~

Week 1 Day 4, 21st August 2015, Friday:
Yesssssss ....


Finally the end of the week which means we are done with the first week of attachment!! On the negative note... we still have 7 more weeks to go T.T

Anyway.. In the morning, I took care of a few girls under the Student Care cause they had no school due to PSLE, and it was so interesting to see how P1 & P2 children interact. They were playing some sort of family game which includes a girl pretending to be a dog at the pet shop which was bought by another girl which found out that this dog could talk and walk, LOL!!

And this was our lunch for the day!! - Bee Tai Mak soup with chicken and vegetables!



In the late afternoon at about 3:30pm, the entire YMCA building conducted a fire drill and so the centre was affected as well. I was feeling kinda excited as I got to see how the teachers carried out the procedures etc.

It was slightly past 4pm after the children return to the classes, and I left afterwards. At the bus stop, I met the cooking auntie who stays near Redhill and coincidentally we were taking the same bus. As the bus just left, both of us sat at the bus stop and chatted for like 20 minutes and sat together on the bus and continued chatting about HK dramas, my attachment schedule etc etc.

Reflection:
After the first day of attachment, I felt kind of sian of attachment already as it was like a completely new environment and like it was boring to be alone with like no close friends to talk to and joke around comfortably with. In addition, I felt that this boring routine would be happening 4 days a week.. Initially, I felt that the K1 class teacher, Teacher Christabel was sort of not so welcoming as we hardly had opportunities to talk. But after going through the 4 days, I realised that she's actually quite nice as she shared more with me about the K1 children, how she carried out her lessons and told me to ask her any questions if I had any. (: Generally, the first week was okay and I hope that the second week would be better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment